please scroll or page down
History of Apple Creek United Methodist
right is our Apple Creek United Methodist Church, built in 1888. The
original structure (left side of photo) is more than125 years old.
Long Hall, (right side of photo) was added in 1997 under the guidance of
Reverend Ron Hardman. This addition was designed by lifetime member, Herbert
Long. It's a large multi-purpose addition, used for meetings, dinners,
gymnasium and concerts. A completed basement and kitchenette are beneath.
Also in 1997 the churches three levels became totally handicap accessible.
An elevator was added and an enlarged tri-level parking facility was
retired while serving in Apple Creek due to health problems. He passed away
October 16th, 2001. Pastor Ron's wife, Loretta, and his son Charles (Karen
and family), are still an active part of our Apple Creek United Methodist
Roots of our
church go back to the earliest settlement of
Wayne County, in the town of Edinburgh Ohio (* see note below),
as the Edinburg Society. Services were
originally held in a grist mill, later in a log
cabin which doubled as a school. This log cabin
was located where the Apple Creek Ford Garage is
now. (The Edinburg Methodist Church wasn't
created until 1844 with 20 members.)
In 1823 a brick church
was erected on the southeast corner of the Old
Cemetery land. Reverend Thomas Barr was the
first pastor. Twenty years later (1843) a larger
wooden structure was built. At that time, a
membership of 342, the largest in the
Presbytery, was enrolled. Reverend Joseph Wylie
was the minister when this church was built. It
served the congregation until 1888 when the
present building was constructed at a total cost
of $8,000. Reverend L. F. Laverty was the pastor
at that time. The debt was paid off in three
The Edinburgh Methodist
Church was organized in 1844, with 20
members. Reverend Rolla Chubb served as Pastor,
having also in his circuit Fredericksburg,
Moreland, and Millbrook churches. In
1847 we bought and remodeled a house to
serve as a church. It stood west and a couple
hundred feet to the north of the bridge (Apple
Creek Road?) on a spot where the creek channel
now runs. The building became inadequate and for
a few years services were held in a second story
hall above a dry goods store located where
City Hall is now. In 1869 another new
church was built on State Route 250, between
Apple Creek Elementary School and our present
church building. This building cost $3,900 to
build. Reverend Osmend Card served at that time.
In 1902 repairs and additions were added at a
cost of $3,400 were made to the building during
the ministry of Reverend C.D. Patterson. In this
year the church had a full time minister. It's
members totaled 234.
The Apple Creek United Church,
Federated, was formed in 1926. Reverend
Joseph Cleland conducted the services in the
Presbyterian building for a time, then in the
Methodist building after the Calvary
Presbyterian church was formed. Reverend Edward
Spence was the minister. The Methodist building
was sold to the American Legion who used it for
twenty years then sold it to the school board.
It was razed in 1968.
1946: Our latest building
move Our 1945 church was located
next door to our present building, between our
present church and the Apple Creek Elementary
School. When the Calvary Presbyterian church was
disbanded in 1946, we purchased their church
(our present church). The United Church (not
United Methodist until 1968) moved into our
present building (photo at right) at 269 Main
Street, but not before remodeling the alter and
choir lofts. Reverend Alfred Burkhart and
Reverend Howard Hillberry were ministers during
the planning and dedicating stages.
Our previous building was
sold to the American Legion, who used it for
twenty years, then sold it to the school board.
(Last two paragraphs entered on 6/12/2013)
In 1957 cables were
installed to correct the slipping of upper
beams. A flat ceiling was installed to cover the
The old steeple became a hazard necessitating
In 1964 plans were
made to improve the present building with a new
foundation, roof, a new steeple. and folding
doors to partition the the basement hall for
classrooms. An office was included. The cost was
$57,000. Reverend charles McCoy was the minister
at the time.
In 1974 the
congregation became a single denomination by a
vote of the members. Affiliation with the
Methodists was chosen. Reverend Melville Wohrley
remained as the minister. new pews and carpet
for the sanctuary gave a new look to the
interior when installed in November of
In 1975 Reverend David
Martin was selected to serve as pastor. During
his pastorate the stained glass windows were
restored to their old beauty and a new heating
system was installed. In 1975 our church
building was located at 19 Clay Street, in Apple
In September of 1977
the congregation voted to buy a new parsonage at
9127 Emerson Road with the old parsonage being
sold in October of 1977 and the amount being
applied to the purchase of the new parsonage.
The balance of the new parsonage was paid off in
three years. .
More Highlights below . . .
1844: The Apple Creek United Methodist Church originated in the town of Edinburgh Ohio (* see note below), as the Edinburg Society. The
Society first met in a house purchased by five Methodist families in 1835.
This church was under the guidance of Reverend Rolla Chubb. Reverend Chubb
also had, in his circuit, Fredericksburg, Moreland, and Millbrook churches.
1869: The Edinburg Society outgrew its facility, and in 1869
the First Methodist Church was dedicated in what is now Apple Creek
Ohio. This church
(west of the present school) was enlarged in 1902.
1926: Due to the dwindling enrollments and hard times in
1926 the Edinburg Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church combined to form
the Apple Creek United Church. This church met in the Presbyterian building
(our present church building) which was built in 1888.
● 1964, parishioners dug out a full basement.
This added a
Fellowship Hall, and Sunday School rooms.
● 1968, the United Methodist Church was
created by the union of The Evangelical United Brethren Church and The
1973: The United Church survived several building moves and
other problems until 1973. Under the direction of Dr. Melville Wohrley, the combined
congregation voted to become one denomination, and the Apple Creek United
Methodist Church was formed.
● 1983, a three octave set of Bells was purchased
and played for the first time during the Christmas Service.
● 1997, Long Hall was added. It's a large
addition, designed with a cathedral ceiling. Long Hall is a large
multi-purpose room used for meetings, dinners, and a church gymnasium.
A completed basement and kitchenette are beneath. Also in 1997 the churches three levels
became totally handicap accessible. An elevator was added and an enlarged
tri-level parking facility was completed.
● 2004, our
yearly observance of Heritage Sunday changed from April 23 (the day in 1968 when
the United Methodist Church was created by the union of The Evangelical
United Brethren Church and The Methodist Church) to a date closer to May 24
(the date of Wesley's experience at Aldersgate). Heritage Sunday calls
the Church to remember the past by committing itself to the continuing call
of God. It's a time to remember
our United Methodist heritage.
In 1817 Edinburgh Ohio
(also spelled Edinburg)
was a small Scotch-Irish village in East Union Township, Wayne County
Ohio. Edinburg Ohio, now Apple Creek Ohio, was located in the area around the junction of
(present) State Route 250 and Apple
Creek Road. The town of Edinburg was settled before Apple Creek but when the Cleveland, Akron and Mt.
Vernon Railroad came through in 1854, it
crossed (present) State Route 250 a quarter mile southeast of Edinburg (just
east of our present Apple Creek Bank building).
About 1855 the
railroad built Apple Creek Station on (present) High Street, now
downtown Apple Creek. The
Village of Apple Creek grew from Apple Creek Station and finally reached the
town of Edinburg. Edinburg was eventually surrounded and Apple Creek's name
prevailed. The small village of Edinburg became a part of Apple Creek Ohio.
The Cleveland, Akron and Mt. Vernon
Railroad served the Village of
Apple Creek for over 100 years. The tracks were destroyed during Wayne
County's 1969 flood and were never rebuilt.
clear creek, the Railroad Station, and the Village were all
named after Johnny Appleseed. (September 26, 1774 – March
18, 1845). Johnny's real name was John
Chapman, a colorful character that spent much of his life planting apple
trees in our area. Apple Creek Village, to this
day, holds a popular Johnny Appleseed Festival every summer.
The many apple trees that he planted still decorate our countryside.
Click here for more about Edinburgh Ohio
Please bookmark our website and check back often.
We try to be as accurate as
possible when offering this information. This
web page covers our church history back into the early
1800s. There are gaps, overlaps and "unsure" areas. Different
books and sources may often offer slightly different information. We've inserted notes
referring to the original books and/or documents where possible.
are always looking for new ACUMC information. If you have any
or corrections about
past history, email me and I'll get it added or corrected here.
Dan Dalrymple, ACUMC web maintenance.
Dalrymple, ACUMC website maintenance, 8000 James
Road, Wooster Ohio, phone 330-466-7400, email email@example.com
This page was last revised
on February 21, 2016