More about Edinburgh Ohio . . .
please scroll or page
down for more
Edinburgh Ohio, Apple Creek's older, sister town:
Edinburg, a small village at the junction of present
day State Route 250 and County Road 44 (Apple Creek
Road) was settled in the early 1800s. Edinburgh was
settled more than fifty years before the village of Apple Creek.
The map above shows the approximate location of the
town of Edinburgh. The dark
east/west/southeast/northwest road is present day State
Route 250, the north/south road that crosses SR-250 at
the curve is present day Apple Creek Road (County
Road 44). As you can see by the map, Edinburgh's
east/west boundaries were from west of the creek on
SR-250 to just slightly east of the present Golden Bear
drive-in. Finley Street and County Road 44 were part of
Edinburgh. Several lots west of Apple creek remain in
the town of Edinburgh today. See email below . . .Edinburgh
was originally settled by a large number of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians
and most likely received its
name from Edinburgh Scotland, the most populist city and
the capitol of Scotland.
Again, Edinburgh was
settled more than fifty years before
the village of Apple Creek, however, in 1852 the Cleveland, Akron, and Mt Vernon
Railroad was constructed.
The railroad crossed SR250 a
half mile southeast of Edinburgh, near where Apple Creek
Bank is located today. A railroad station called Apple
Creek Station was built. It was named after the small
creek that flowed thru the area. A village grew around
the railroad station and was also called Apple
Creek. Soon the businesses in the village of Edinburgh
slowly moved into Apple Creek to be closer to the
railroad. The village of Apple Creek grew, and
eventually surrounded and incorporated most of the town
of Edinburgh. Part of Edinburgh remains to this day, see
more near bottom of this page.
This Apple Creek / Edinburgh area was most likely settled because of the
Apple Creek, and several fresh water springs in the area.
A water powered sawmill was built along present State
Route 250 early in 1815 (see mid-page photo). The
millrace was northeast of Apple creek (see map directly
below). The mill race ran very close to the backyards of
the lots on the south side of present day SR 250.
On August 16 1832 William Thomas
and John Chaney platted Edinburgh where SR 250 crosses
the Apple creek. It was recorded by George Emery page
438 volume 9. Originally Edinburgh started out as
twenty-two lots. Six of those lots were west of the
Apple Creek. Over the next 5 years Edinburgh continued
to grow mostly eastward toward higher ground.
In 1835 a Methodist church was built and The
first academy in Wayne County, Edinburgh academy,
in 1842. Edinburgh Academy became a college in 1848. Out of ten
historical landmarks in union township. The Edinburgh
academy is the only landmark inside our present day Apple
Edinburgh went on to grow as
village and by all accounts was a bustling place.
John Chaney built a sawmill on the fox property around 1815.
It was torn down in 1880.
The millrace was northeast of the main creek
(see map above) and the mill was located on the south
side of present State Route 250, just south of Finley
censes of 1860 lists a doctor, an innkeeper, 4 grocers
and dry good stores, a saddler, 3 tailors, 3
blacksmiths, 3 carpenters, a miller, 3 shoe makers, a
minister, a teacher, a cooper
(coopers built wooden
barrels, buckets, wheelbarrows), a butcher shop, a
seamstress, a painter, and a boarding house with about
50 buildings. Edinburgh also had a sawmill, a tannery, a
wagon shop and a family that manufactured and sold soap. By
1817. There was a Presbyterian church built. A tavern
opened in 1818. The name Edinburgh first appeared on an
1826 Wayne county map. Edinburgh was often referred to
as "Soap Town" (from the family that sold soap).
Cleveland, Akron, and Mt Vernon Railroad began buying
up land for a proposed railway. John Hindman owned land
where it crossed SR 250. In 1854 John Hindman laid out
Apple Creek Station. The railroad made it the ideal
place to be. Over time Edinburgh became known as “old
town”. The Jameson brothers moved their store from
Edinburgh to Apple creek station. In the 1860s the
school and both churches moved onto the higher grounds
of Apple Creek station.
By 1877 the much of the land
between the two towns had been built up and the choice
was made to incorporate as one town. The town was named Apple
This is where many people believe
the story of Edinburgh ends.
However when the two towns joined
to incorporate in 1877, lots 10 thru 15 lots 31 thru 41
and lots 67 thru 74 of Edinburgh were not incorporated
into Apple Creek.
Edinburgh became a much smaller
village after the joining with Apple Creek station. Over
the years Edinburgh got smaller. Many people
nicknamed it "Old Town". Lots 13 thru 15
currently owned by Gerald Knapp Lots 31 thru 35
currently owned by Mac Homes and lots 67 thru 74
currently owned by Carolyn Jackson. All merged back into
East Union township according to the legal definition of
the said properties.
Edinburgh was on the verge of being
lost forever. Over the years lots 37 thru 41 went thru
some replotting and renumbering and is now referred to
under legal definition most current recording January
17, 2012 as lot 42 in the village of Edinburgh. All that
remains now is parts of lots 10 thru 12 and lot 36 owned
by Fannie Geiser and a lot 42 which is 2.25 acres owned
by John Latecki Jr. (see email below).
Present day Edinburgh may be small
but not forgotten. Many people don’t realize Edinburgh
was here over 20 years before Apple Creek Station. The
real historical and symbolic Edinburgh runs from present
day Edinburgh East past the Golden Bear and encompasses
church street as well. Maybe someday we can get a green
state sign like Guerne has marking Edinburgh up past
Golden Bear so people remember the town that was and the
town that still exists.
More about Edinburgh Ohio:
Below is an email
from John Latecki Jr.
This email received: Mon, Apr 23, 2012 16:20:51 GMT+00:00
nice web site!
a couple of statements some readers might find
misleading about Edinburgh. On our history of Apple
Creek 1. The first statement:
“Edinburg Ohio, now Apple Creek Ohio, was located in the
area around the junction of (present) State Route 250
and Apple Creek Road”
“Edinburg was eventually surrounded and Apple Creek's
name prevailed. The small village of Edinburg became a
part of Apple Creek Ohio.”
reader is likely to come to the conclusion that
Edinburgh does not exist anymore. However not all of
Edinburgh was incorporated into Apple Creek. The lots
west of the Apple Creek were not incorporated into Apple
creek. Over the years all the lots South of 250 and some
on the North were merged back into East Union township.
However part of lots 10,11,12 and all of lots 36-41
remained Edinburgh. Lots 37-41 were renumbered and replatted to become lot 42 in the village of Edinburgh.
A recent legal description on a deed transfer January
2012 deed for 6826 Dover road states the said property
is known as lot 42 in the village of Edinburgh. So from
a technical and legal standpoint Edinburgh still exists
today. Sure it is much smaller now but it is still here.
Edinburgh does not appear on roadmaps but it can be
found on Google, some GPS, and facebook recognizes. It
can be found on maps including an Orrville U.S.
Geological Survey Map. I hope some of this information
helped. If you have any historical information or
documents on the area of Edinburgh or Apple Creek
station I would be very interested. I was wondering if
you know of anyone in the area who can trace their
ancestry back to the time of Edinburgh?
Thank you for your
John Latecki Jr
Do you have any additions, corrections, information
and/or photos about our church that would help our website? Just email here:
This page was last revised
on February 21, 2016